XF 1.x Collapsable Sidebar - Adsense violation?

RobParker

Customer
Having the collapsable sidebar is great but I just wondered whether having an advert placed in the sidebar would then be a violation of Google's Adsense terms?

How is the sidebar content hidden and would that stop an advert form loading or would it load and hide it?

Steve

Pixel Exit Staff
It is hidden with js display and obviously would hide the ad for a user. I'm not sure how that may affect Adsense. Will look around though.

Steve

Pixel Exit Staff
Are the ads mainly for guest? If so can probably add a conditional for that and whatever other groups possibly.

RobParker

Customer
We show them to everyone.

I think it's probably safest to disable the sidebar collapsing if there's an advert in it.

Steve

Pixel Exit Staff
How does adsense work since the sidebar isn't on all pages? It may be in your best interest to disable it entirely or not have ads in the sidebar at all. Do your users use the feature?

RobParker

Customer
If the sidebar template isn't called, the ad code isn't called. Collapsing the sidebar calls and hides and the ad which I don't think is allowed.

mrderanged

Is it possible to have an option added for turning off/on sidebar collapsing / or a permission to choose which groups can use it?

Steve

Pixel Exit Staff
In Style Properties -> [XB] Sidebar you can disable it. No user group permission are available for the option.

Bram

You need to be very careful with this indeed. When an ad is called but not displayed its a policy violation.

However there are a few exceptions to the rule. When you use responsive code <display:none> is allowed to hide an ad for certain pagewidths.

Pre-Sale Questions

If you have any questions or concerns you want to ask before you make a purchase don't hesitate to use one of our multiple support channels for your convenience.