wrkalot

Customer
The upgrade to 2.0.2 went smoothly but I do have one outdated template PAGE_CONTAINER and I am not quite sure what to do with it.

So PAGE_CONTAINER is a template we can almost all expect to see outdated every single release if you edit it. I'll post a workaround at the end but essentially it means that you've made an adjustment to the template and the parent has since been updated. Long story short... you need to re-apply your edits to the parent version of the template.

Ready for a long wall of text :D

In this example, my PAGE_CONTAINER is outdated, click "View custom changes" top right.
outdated1.png

Scrolling down you'll see what changes I've added by what's in green:
outdated2.png

This is a custom link I added, so I made a change on the template which has since been updated as I mentioned. Scrolling further down...

outdated3.png

Red lines are what can be found in the parent style currently, with a red line directly below with almost the same content it means a change was made inside the line of code itself. Essentially here I'd copy the red line and go replace the green line directly below.

If you see a red line of code with nothing below it, it means that it's new code being added entirely so you just need to add it in the correct place.

Solutions / tools:
NotePad++

NotePad++ is a nice text editor which has abilities to add plugins, one of which is a compare tool. Often what I'll do is simply copy the entire contents of my custom outdated template, paste it into notepad++, then click revert on the template. Next, I'll go back into the template, open it (it's now up-to-date but has lost all your custom changes) and paste that into a new file on notepad++.

compare1.png

It'll look like this when comparing:

compare2.png

Left side is my custom template, the right side of the parent version that we reverted too. I can simply copy the code over easily and continue with my edits. When I'm all done simply take the right side, copy and paste it back into the PAGE_CONTAINER template.

Template modifications:
While template modifications aren't necessarily meant for styling (although I wish they would make it so) you can use them to avoid outdated templates.

modification.png

This finds the current navigation link and adds in our custom link automatically.

I hope this helps... the fix for outdated templates is simply not a go here and do this type of solution. Sorry for the wall of text, I'll make work this into a sticky thread for everyone.

Well, that was certainly not short :)

In my case, the only change to this template was to add my DFP code to the head section. It sounds like a template modification would be better suited for this code.

Thanks!

Well, that was certainly not short :)

In my case, the only change to this template was to add my DFP code to the head section. It sounds like a template modification would be better suited for this code.

Thanks!

In your case yes, template modification would be nice. Outdated templates are difficult to explain so I had to be a little through all, and ideally, I'll turn this into a sticky as I mentioned :D.

Pre-Sale Questions

If you have any questions or concerns you want to ask before you make a purchase don't hesitate to use one of our multiple support channels for your convenience.

Back