kontrabass

Hi guys!

We find it very useful to give a thread starter (OP) some kind of visual "blip" in threads that they've started. This is very useful in long threads when folks forget who asked the original question etc. We did this before in vbulletin, but haven't done it in XenForo. Users are asking for it. Want to make it a feature of xenbase?

Technically it's pretty easy, it's just the visual that I need help with. :)

Russ

Pixel Exit Staff
Well.. we threw the class inside XenBase 1.5 and also added an extra span inside the existing helper span on the message user info.

I thought about it for awhile and wasn't sure the best way to approach it that everyone would be happy with. That being said I can knock up some tutorials on some extra things.

But you can use simple CSS now to achieve little things:

Code:
.message.threadStarter {
background-color: #f5f8fc;
border: 1px solid #c9d7ed;
border-radius: 4px;
}
Results:
Screenshot_1.png

Or simple:
Code:
.threadStarter .messageUserBlock {
background-color: #ffc1c1;
}
Result:
Screenshot_2.png

But now that the class is in place plus the other div I added I can do some tutorials as I mentioned once the 1.5 release is over with.

kontrabass

Well.. we threw the class inside XenBase 1.5 and also added an extra span inside the existing helper span on the message user info.

I thought about it for awhile and wasn't sure the best way to approach it that everyone would be happy with. That being said I can knock up some tutorials on some extra things.

But you can use simple CSS now to achieve little things:

Code:
.message.threadStarter {
background-color: #f5f8fc;
border: 1px solid #c9d7ed;
border-radius: 4px;
}
Results:
View attachment 2289

Or simple:
Code:
.threadStarter .messageUserBlock {
background-color: #ffc1c1;
}
Result:
View attachment 2290

But now that the class is in place plus the other div I added I can do some tutorials as I mentioned once the 1.5 release is over with.
Thanks Russ!!

What about a star? Or mail envelope? I dont know, not a designer :p but something that can be seen as starter.
What about a feather?...Well,that's a little too old fashion. Maybe it could be a pen!...Or a pen in a star? Ohh,I know! Maybe it could be a pen and an envelope. I'm not sure either. :unsure:

This is more geared at while in threads you have s slight reminder of who opened the thread.

Also you guys are kind of proving my point of why I kept it simple, everyone wants something different haha
Yeah I see what their saying and have used Shelly's add-on that @C.L. suggested. And that only works if the OP posts any replies. along the way. I had several cases where the OP started a vibrant thread and never posted again. So if one was looking for who started it all, they were back to the basics anyway LOL
Yup KISS ;):LOL:

Just a test result here. I tried it in a xenforo demo(without downloading it,just copy and paste,don't tell them!)and the green triangle overlapped the ribbon.
Thread author ribbon screenshot..png

This is more geared at while in threads you have s slight reminder of who opened the thread.

Also you guys are kind of proving my point of why I kept it simple, everyone wants something different haha
@Russ I know you like a challenge :p Don't be difficult now :)

The threadstarter ribbon addon should do the trick.
Problem for forum managers that are not using English as forum language, is that we need it all phrased. If its not, then we get mix of languages, which is even more annoying.

And I would more use something @Russ and @Steve made, with easy config in xenbase, then a plugin with editing of files.

Russ

Pixel Exit Staff
@Russ I know you like a challenge :p Don't be difficult now :)

Problem for forum managers that are not using English as forum language, is that we need it all phrased. If its not, then we get mix of languages, which is even more annoying.

And I would more use something @Russ and @Steve made, with easy config in xenbase, then a plugin with editing of files.
If only phrases were able to be shipped out with styles themselves :cry:

kontrabass

Hi @Russ looking forward to a tutorial when you have the time :) I'm unable to get this working with anything other than simply changing the background color of the messageuserblock. :pigeon:

I'm not sure what would look good with our style, but the background color (tried various blues/reds/yellows) does not work IMO. Maybe a dot or even a font awesome icon? Hmm. Anyway like I said, when you have spare time... :)

kontrabass

Hey, I think I found a pretty decent solution for us :)

Code:
.threadStarter .username:before {
        font-family: FontAwesome;
        content: "\f139  ";
    }
For anyone who's interested, this adds a font awesome "circle chevron up" icon before the OP's username:

Screenshot at Sep 17 14-21-48.png

Pre-Sale Questions

If you have any questions or concerns you want to ask before you make a purchase don't hesitate to use one of our multiple support channels for your convenience.