1. This forum is dedicated to suggestions for our free & premium styles for XenForo. If you need to post a bug relating to XenBase or a style please use this forum for reporting bugs or this forum for style support. Alternatively you may submit a ticket here.

Thread starter indicator feature for XB?

Discussion in 'Resolved Suggestions' started by kontrabass, Aug 17, 2015.

1. kontrabass

kontrabass Member

Hi guys!

We find it very useful to give a thread starter (OP) some kind of visual "blip" in threads that they've started. This is very useful in long threads when folks forget who asked the original question etc. We did this before in vbulletin, but haven't done it in XenForo. Users are asking for it. Want to make it a feature of xenbase?

Technically it's pretty easy, it's just the visual that I need help with. :)

IPF likes this.
  2. Russ

Russ Designer

So ideally put in something that would show up on every OP's post in that thread correct?

3. kontrabass

kontrabass Member

Exactly :)

4. Russ

Russ Designer

Well.. we threw the class inside XenBase 1.5 and also added an extra span inside the existing helper span on the message user info.

I thought about it for awhile and wasn't sure the best way to approach it that everyone would be happy with. That being said I can knock up some tutorials on some extra things.

But you can use simple CSS now to achieve little things:

Code:
    Copy Source
    .message.threadStarter {
    background-color: #f5f8fc;
    border: 1px solid #c9d7ed;
    border-radius: 4px;
    }

Results:
    Screenshot_1.png

Or simple:
    Code:
    Copy Source
    .threadStarter .messageUserBlock {
    background-color: #ffc1c1;
    }

Result:
    Screenshot_2.png

But now that the class is in place plus the other div I added I can do some tutorials as I mentioned once the 1.5 release is over with.

kontrabass likes this.
  5. kontrabass

kontrabass Member

Thanks Russ!!

6. kontrabass

kontrabass Member

This works brilliantly, FYI ;)

Steve likes this.
  7. kaieivindm

kaieivindm Customer

I like this idea!
    What about making it a bit more complicated and add a own banner for threadstarters?

Or an icon maybe?

IPF and C.L. like this.
  8. C.L.

C.L. Banned

An icon would be good. Just one thing. What should the icon be like?

9. kaieivindm

kaieivindm Customer

What about a star? Or mail envelope? I dont know, not a designer :p but something that can be seen as starter.

10. C.L.

C.L. Banned

What about a feather?...Well,that's a little too old fashion. Maybe it could be a pen!...Or a pen in a star? Ohh,I know! Maybe it could be a pen and an envelope. I'm not sure either. :unsure:

11. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Active Member

How about just looking at the first post? Also if you look at any of the titles it shows who the thread starter is and when they started it.
    Screenshot_1.jpg

12. Russ

Russ Designer

This is more geared at while in threads you have s slight reminder of who opened the thread.

Also you guys are kind of proving my point of why I kept it simple, everyone wants something different haha

kaieivindm likes this.
  13. C.L.

C.L. Banned

Bionic Rooster likes this.
  14. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Active Member

Yeah I see what their saying and have used Shelly's add-on that @C.L. suggested. And that only works if the OP posts any replies. along the way. I had several cases where the OP started a vibrant thread and never posted again. So if one was looking for who started it all, they were back to the basics anyway LOL
    Yup KISS ;):LOL:

Russ likes this.
  15. C.L.

C.L. Banned

Just a test result here. I tried it in a xenforo demo(without downloading it,just copy and paste,don't tell them!)and the green triangle overlapped the ribbon.
    Thread author ribbon screenshot..png

16. kaieivindm

kaieivindm Customer

@Russ I know you like a challenge :p Don't be difficult now :)

Problem for forum managers that are not using English as forum language, is that we need it all phrased. If its not, then we get mix of languages, which is even more annoying.

And I would more use something @Russ and @Steve made, with easy config in xenbase, then a plugin with editing of files.

17. Russ

Russ Designer

If only phrases were able to be shipped out with styles themselves :cry:

18. kaieivindm

kaieivindm Customer

Can only hope for XF 2.0 :)

C.L. likes this.
  19. kontrabass

kontrabass Member

Hi @Russ looking forward to a tutorial when you have the time :) I'm unable to get this working with anything other than simply changing the background color of the messageuserblock. :pigeon:

I'm not sure what would look good with our style, but the background color (tried various blues/reds/yellows) does not work IMO. Maybe a dot or even a font awesome icon? Hmm. Anyway like I said, when you have spare time... :)

20. kontrabass

kontrabass Member

Hey, I think I found a pretty decent solution for us :)

Code:
    Copy Source
    .threadStarter .username:before {
            font-family: FontAwesome;
            content: "\f139  ";
        }

For anyone who's interested, this adds a font awesome "circle chevron up" icon before the OP's username:

Screenshot at Sep 17 14-21-48.png

Russ likes this.