Tickets Ticket Number

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by MattW, Sep 1, 2015.

1. MattW

MattW The Server Guy

It looks like the ID of the ticket is unique and not linked to the post / threads.

Would it possible to have the Ticket Number displayed in the Ticket Information section (as shown below)
    upload_2015-9-1_21-30-34.png

2. Fayettemat

Fayettemat New Member

Why not use a randomly generate unique number like most systems do? Or at least an option?

3. NixFifty

NixFifty Developer

Behind the scenes, one is generated. It's known as the reference number. I'll expose it properly in another version though as I still need to work out some details on it.

MattW likes this.
  4. Fayettemat

Fayettemat New Member

Is it random or is it just a normal number?

5. NixFifty

NixFifty Developer

It's random. The generating process needs to be fleshed out a little more but I wasn't sure if people would actually prefer it over a number based ID.

As for the initial suggestion, this has been added in the next release.

MattW likes this.
  6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Active Member

I prefer the number based ID so that we can easily type in the url. The only point of making it random is for if you want tickets to be visible to guests and the avoid the issue of urls that can be guessed. But there is no way around that one in xenforo as there will always be a content ID. So if tickets are visible to guests then they can simply change the content ID in the url and read the next ticket.

7. MattW

MattW The Server Guy

But, if you didn't want guests to be able to guess ticket numbers, then they shouldn't have permission to view them anyway. If someone doesn't have permission to view tickets, they currently still get the same error regardless if it's a valid ticket number or not

upload_2015-9-7_15-37-11.png
    Ticket 20 isn't a valid number yet.

It would be more for people who can view tickets, trying to guess other IDs

Can view tickets, error for viewing ticket:
    upload_2015-9-7_15-39-49.png

No ticket ID
    upload_2015-9-7_15-40-10.png
    (bug report submitted for missing phrase)

I would actually like to see an generic error for the ticket system if possible, rather than giving away the ID??

Steve likes this.
  8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Active Member

You are approaching this from a forum software way of thinking. If you do not consider forum usergroup permissions for a moment: With helpdesk software its usual to have a unique link that gives an unregistered person access to the ticket. This requires an unique random ticket ID. This basically works as a password.
    If such function does not exist then why would there be a need for a random ticket ID?

9. MattW

MattW The Server Guy

I agree and see your point now. I've just never used such a software to know that case existed.
    A choice between the two functions would be good.

Soulzz likes this.