Bionic Rooster

Registered
Members are complaining that every time they collapse a category and return later they have to collapse it again. Isn't there some way to use a cookie or something to remember the members selection of collapse categories?

We do use cookies for it:

Screenshot_2.png

Is this a select few number of users? Are they browsing privately by chance? Or do they have cookies turned off/blocking them?

I've checked and cookies are not turned off. I find this too. It seems the cookie is session based (as I understand it) it works fine as long as the user is active on the forum. But if they leave, staying logged in, and return later or the next day, the categories they collapsed are no longer collapsed. Same applies when they log off and return later.

Hmm... we'll need to take another look I suppose to see whats happening with it.

In the mean time if you wanted too you could use this plugin:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/toggleme.137/ I believe it works fine on the category collapse part and has no branding.

Only reason I'm referring there because I don't want you to wait for a fix by us as I'm not exactly sure if I'll have time to debug in the next few days.

This shouldn't an issue at all with the current setup @Bionic Rooster , it was the same problem we had worked though before. THe cookies for the category collapse is totally separate from XF. Even logging out doesn't clear the users choice. Can you make sure you do not have any xb_xxxx_js templates edited?

@Steve
I rechecked this morning after setting the categories closed when I went to bed. When I logged in this morning all the categories I closed the night before were now open.
From what you're saying they should still have remained closed?
Is that the xb_cookie_js template?
As far as I can tell that template was not edited.

Hey man, I just now at this moment got out of the hospital after spending 4 days in there for kidney stones. I'll get back to it by the weekend. THe testing I had done though wasn't turning up anything but will keep trying.

Sorry to hear that Bro, been there done that one, Kinda interesting how they can pulverize those little or big buggers and flush them out now instead of having to cut a person open.
Hope your recovery is as uneventful as mine was.
Anyway, was just checking back hoping you had solved this.
As a side note I did install toggleme on my test site 5 days ago and categories have stayed collapsed.
Not suggesting that as an alternative though.

Another observation - Categories will stay collapsed until midnight (not sure if it's server time or mine) and then will expand. Seems to be a timed thing and I've no idea where I can fix this but this particular cookie changes after the magic hour.

I'll reply here since it is an open discussion.

It seems the issue is with all browsers except Chrome. I've reproduced it using Edge and Firefox. They both clear sessions when they are closed and could possibly also clear time based. The cookie is set to expire once in a years time, not sure why those browsers are skipping that. We are planning a rewrite of those functions since it seems the approach we are using is a bit dated. Not sure when it will get implemented but we'll try to get it done ASAP as we want these things working as much as you do. ;)

We have re-coded the jQuery controlling the collapsible nodes and are just working on few minor things before we call it good for releasing. ;)

So far the testing is going good and don't see any issues. Stay tuned!

upload_2015-11-10_16-21-7.png

Pre-Sale Questions

If you have any questions or concerns you want to ask before you make a purchase don't hesitate to use one of our multiple support channels for your convenience.

Back