RobParker

Registered
We've now migrated our site to XF 1.2.2 and are using Core but we've had a few reports of the editor becoming very slow/laggy on iOS. I posted on XF about it here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/editor-laggy-on-ipad.61499/

I've tested this myself and our editor definitely lags quite horribly on an ipad 3 (but seems fine on my iphone 5) but not everyone seems to be reporting the issue so I don't know if you'll be able to reproduce it.

We've customised Core quite a bit (mainly style property changes, colours, etc) so I wanted to rule out it being our customisations. I also thought it was more likely to be our advertising and any slow JS being loaded but after testing things for a while it does seem to be Core itself causing it.

I can reproduce the editor lag on your demo board as well which I think clinches it :-(

I'd be interested if anyone else has experienced similar?

I'll have @Steve give it a go on his tablet today, I haven't heard of any issues here or on XF either. Have you switched to the default style on your board for kicks to see if it still does it?

Typically a style can't mess with the editor like that however I suppose if some JS is coming into play it might.

Yep I've done lots of testing. My default style is absolutely fine. I tried pretty much everything I could think of as well, disabling adverts, social stuff, notices, all addons, etc but the only thing that makes a difference is whether I'm in the Core style or not.

Core on the demo site here has the same issues. Mike suggested it might just be too many CSS effects.

I think we might be the largest site using Core and even then we've only had 10 people or so mention it out of thousands but I can definitely reproduce it on my ipad consistently (but not on my iphone).

Steve just tested on his iphone/ipad and wasn't getting any problems. What browser are the users using on their phone, or which are you using.

I found Mike's post, the only thing I can think of that might cause an issue in regards to his post would be the post control buttons. I've styled them with 4 lines of CSS, but past that Core isn't CSS3 intensive when it comes to gradients, and uses no box-shadows in the post area.

Are these users using iPad 3 +

Just trying to see if I can narrow anything down. Sadly I can't do much debugging with the iPad with no MAC to run dev tools.

One thing I have noticed

When I'm listening to music on my iphone and try to do any typing (texting, website search, whatever) is does lag but this only started with iOS7 release. iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.3 I think it is.

Maybe ask if they are multi tasking..

@RobParker if you want/don't mind, maybe we can chat on skype sometime soon to try to debug this, I could go through and remove certain things off core seeing if it would effect the posting ability on it.

On my iPad 3 I tried it with Safari as the only thing open and it lags badly. The default style is absolutely fine.

Posting on here (i.e. this message) is fine as well but if I go to your demo board and use Core it lags as well.

I surveyed our users and got the follow responses to whether they were experiencing lag with the editor:

iPad 4 with iOS 6.1.3 using Chrome.

i thought it was something wrong with my ipad, typing seems to be fine on laptop however.

Whether using my Samsung tab 2, smartphone Samsung Note or desktop HP all using Chrome suddenly (since Friday) text appears after typing theword. Damn annoying.

Samsung galaxy tab. Yes I have the same problem

Sony Xperia P everything is slow

iPhone 4 running whatever the latest iOS is. Slow typing

Nokia 800, windows smartphone.

Definite lag.......

same for me unfortunately (Nokia 800)

Windows 7 PC with IE9 - slow typing and scrolling
Don't blame me, it's work laptop!!!

So it's not isolated to iOS but does seem a real problem. Having said that, that's 10 or so responses out of several thousand users who haven't mentioned any problems so it's not a universal problem.

the only thing I can think of that might cause an issue in regards to his post would be the post control buttons

I completely removed the private and public controls from the post template as a test and it didn't help.

Also tried:
Removing the Share This Page template
Removing the quick reply buttons
Disabling Notices
Removing BG image
Disabling Search
Removing navigation and logo_block templates from header template
Emptied core_header.css completely
Emptied core_main.css completely
Emptied extra.css completely
Removed userbar from page container

Like you say, there doesn't seem to be that much other stuff that could be causing it.

Having said that, I've stripped pretty much everything (header, nav, controls, userblock, etc) out of the style leaving me with this and it's STILL doing it while the default style isn't.

Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 20.55.22.png

Nope

Also just to check, any CSS will only be an issue if it tries to render it in the browser right? Or would even having the include potentially cause issues even if nothing on the page used that class?

Nah it wouldn't be an issue in that case, this is really really weird. Steve had a problem on gamerexit.com awhile back which I could never re-produce and he got it everytime where there was lag. For kicks, is it doing it on the XenBase style too?

Pre-Sale Questions

If you have any questions or concerns you want to ask before you make a purchase don't hesitate to use one of our multiple support channels for your convenience.

Back