RobParker

Registered
We've now migrated our site to XF 1.2.2 and are using Core but we've had a few reports of the editor becoming very slow/laggy on iOS. I posted on XF about it here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/editor-laggy-on-ipad.61499/

I've tested this myself and our editor definitely lags quite horribly on an ipad 3 (but seems fine on my iphone 5) but not everyone seems to be reporting the issue so I don't know if you'll be able to reproduce it.

We've customised Core quite a bit (mainly style property changes, colours, etc) so I wanted to rule out it being our customisations. I also thought it was more likely to be our advertising and any slow JS being loaded but after testing things for a while it does seem to be Core itself causing it.

I can reproduce the editor lag on your demo board as well which I think clinches it :-(

I'd be interested if anyone else has experienced similar?

That's right.
Nope, the xenbase style is fine (though looks like the default style, right?)

Yep it should,

Next step would be to backup the template "core_header.css" try removing all of its contents, seeing if the editor lags.

Then remove core_main.css, backup first of course.

Not sure if you missed my post above but I've done all of that. I've stripped it down to the bare bones of basically a white blank page and a quick reply box (I've removed all the controls, user block info, header, footer, thread tools, etc).

I take back slightly what I said in my post above, when comparing the performance of the 3 styles (default, core and bare bones style), Core is definitely the slowest by a long way so the bare bones one does seem to be an improvement.

I'll work on reverting the templates back now and see where it slows it down.

Edit: Argh, doing some more testing and it seems that the virtually empty style is still slow if i try to type more than a few letters.

Last edited:
I noticed with firebug that for Core the quick reply background colour is set to being transparent

Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 21.43.35.png

Whereas there's not an entry for background-color in the default style.

Getting rid of it didn't seem to fix anything though.

Sorry if you tried but in the Customized Components, did you try reverting all the custom style properties? Even the templates there.

@RobParker

If by chance the one person on PC having the lag issues could open up developer tools console Chrome and take a screenshot that may help.

This is nearly impossible to debug without a high knowledge of the editors inner workings. Have you tried a support ticket with XF.com even though its a custom style?

@RobParker

If by chance the one person on PC having the lag issues could open up developer tools console Chrome and take a screenshot that may help.

This is nearly impossible to debug without a high knowledge of the editors inner workings. Have you tried a support ticket with XF.com even though its a custom style?

I haven't tried a ticket yet, I'll try the suggestions above first and then submit one.

Fairly sure I've found it!

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 17.00.39.png

If I remove the box shadow from the screenshot above, things are MUCH faster.

To double-check, I added that box shadow to the default style and it caused it to lag badly.

Are there any other instances of box-shadow?

I'll have to find it but, instead of removing it, try doing this:

Code:
-moz-box-shadow: 0 1px 1px #585858;
-webkit-box-shadow: 0 1px 1px #585858;
box-shadow:  0 1px 1px #585858;

See if that makes the difference.

Try adding this to EXTRA

Code:
#content .pageContent
{
box-shadow: 0px 1px 1px #585858;
}

Maybe if it is loaded at a different time there might be chance it won't cause the issue.

Pre-Sale Questions

If you have any questions or concerns you want to ask before you make a purchase don't hesitate to use one of our multiple support channels for your convenience.

Back