Grimes

Customer
Hey guys,

I've been a bad boy and haven't updated my forum in a long time. I'd like to update to the newest Xenforo 1.x and latest Apex light version. My current version of Xenforo is 1.4.10. Is there anything special I need to do get everything up to date? I assume I would update the forum, then install the latest version of Apex. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Hey guys,

I've been a bad boy and haven't updated my forum in a long time. I'd like to update to the newest Xenforo 1.x and latest Apex light version. My current version of Xenforo is 1.4.10. Is there anything special I need to do get everything up to date? I assume I would update the forum, then install the latest version of Apex. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
That’s a rather old version :D

Yep upgrade XF first then upgrade the style. But! I’d import the update as a brand new style rather than importing and overwriting. Import the new xenbase plus apex style as new styles. Next export your child style and import under the new styles so you can work on that upgrade. Depending on how many edits you’ve done you may need to work through outdated properties and templates.

Let us know how it goes and if you need any assistance.

That’s a rather old version :D

Yep upgrade XF first then upgrade the style. But! I’d import the update as a brand new style rather than importing and overwriting. Import the new xenbase plus apex style as new styles. Next export your child style and import under the new styles so you can work on that upgrade. Depending on how many edits you’ve done you may need to work through outdated properties and templates.

Let us know how it goes and if you need any assistance.
Thanks so much for the help, @Russ. I'm finally getting around to this, so fingers crossed.

Follow up question- I don't seem to be able to renew my license. I know where I should be able to do it, but there is no option on my license page. TIA.

It's not very clear at the moment, I'm upgrading our site and it should help :)

Let me know if you run into any snags.
Thanks, Russ. After a little trial and error, I was able to get the styles updated (on my demo site). I have a couple questions, though.

My styles now look like-
Xenbase>
Apex Light>
"Original Site Style"

Xenbase Parent Do Not Edit>
Apex Light Parent Do Not Edit>
"Exported Original Site Style"

Is this alright? I'll just leave the original Xenbase and Apex as is, but deactivated.

My other question is- as expected, I lost a lot of style edits (but not nearly as many as I imagined). Is there an easy way to update the style properties in this new style or an easy way to compare the differences to get it to how it was before updating? I think I automatically merged the templates that needed updating...the ones that would allow automatic merging, and manually merged the ones that wouldn't. There weren't many though.

Thanks, Russ. After a little trial and error, I was able to get the styles updated (on my demo site). I have a couple questions, though.

My styles now look like-
Xenbase>
Apex Light>
"Original Site Style"

Xenbase Parent Do Not Edit>
Apex Light Parent Do Not Edit>
"Exported Original Site Style"

Is this alright? I'll just leave the original Xenbase and Apex as is, but deactivated.

My other question is- as expected, I lost a lot of style edits (but not nearly as many as I imagined). Is there an easy way to update the style properties in this new style or an easy way to compare the differences to get it to how it was before updating? I think I automatically merged the templates that needed updating...the ones that would allow automatic merging, and manually merged the ones that wouldn't. There weren't many though.

Really depends on the edits that are missing. If you want to submit a ticket with a login I can jump in and compare some overall edits to get it back looking normal. Again you were on a really old version so a lot did change with the templates + properties, depending on the edits though it should be easy to get it back.

Pre-Sale Questions

If you have any questions or concerns you want to ask before you make a purchase don't hesitate to use one of our multiple support channels for your convenience.

Back