1.5.13 Style Updates

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Russ, May 30, 2017.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Customer

What theme is yours based on? I was hesitating because I just got my vB forum converted to XF and it's got me all wore out. Now an update, so I thought I'd wait to see if anyone using Core had a problem.

2. kaieivindm

kaieivindm Customer

I have a custom made theme, nothing thats being sold here.

Jim McClain likes this.
  3. Ruby

Ruby Customer

Russ and Steve are pretty quick to get a problem solved in the event you have one don't worry you are in good hands.

Steve, Russ and Jim McClain like this.
  4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Customer

Oh yeah, I know that already. Top notch guys.

Steve and Russ like this.
  5. Russ

Russ Designer

Jim I'm away from my computer at the moment but you may already be on a close version of 1.5.13. If your XenBase has the letters TNG in the style name then yes you are on a closely finished 1.5.13. Upgrading would be really for you, just backup your styles before doing anything.

6. Ruby

Ruby Customer

@Jim McClain from the screen shot in the other thread you did some good work on your style.

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Customer

Russ, there's this file: style-XenBase-TNG-CLIENTS-(Parent-DO-NOT-EDIT).xml. That what you mean? And by, "Upgrading would be really for you" do you mean really FOR me or are you missing a word like "easy"?
    That's all Russ. Well almost all. I did a few minor style changes like backgrounds, color changes, a few template and CSS changes. I asked Russ to see if he could match my existing WordPress style a couple of years ago, when I was seriously considering converting my vB forum to XF. But then I waffled and was just about to decide between WBB and IPS because they were complete suites. Then I came to the realization that no other CMS comes even close to the power and SEO of WordPress. What I really needed was a forum script that could partner with that. It's my opinion that there was nothing better on the market than XF.

My target audience is not necessarily a tech-savvy segment of society. Those that could provide my site with the best content, in terms of information and education, were older and have grown up in an industry that has been absolutely sluggish in its adoption of internet technology. When I was creating websites in Strict XHTML and 100% valid, the most popular forums for flooring professionals were still using scripts that were not a large step away from USENET style message boards. I take responsibility, if not the credit, for pushing and shoving these pros into more modern platforms, first into a IPB based forum, then into a vB forum. There were actually a couple of forums in my niche before my last attempt, 11 years ago, but not much using modern technology until after my first, failed attempt (the reason it failed was because I can be a real ass sometimes).

My conversion to WP + XF is not the first modern platform for members of my niche, but it is more comprehensive (as opposed to just a forum) and... (and I think this is very important when you are a member of the interior design and service field) ...a more stylish site. There are a few sites (not forums) in my niche that think HUGE, sliding photos of commercial and residential interiors make good landing pages. I don't think so. I offer, through the fine quality skills of people like Russ and a loyal member base, a very stylish site filled with topical and relevant content. And when consumers and DIYers ask questions, they get answers from some of the best my industry has to offer - people who not only crawl on their knees all day, but those who work in manufacturing, sales, cleaning and inspections.

I guess I wear my passion on my sleeve. Still loving this business after 40+ years. :) And I have a knack for taking a good discussion off topic. Sorry.

Ruby and Russ like this.
  8. Russ

Russ Designer

@Jim McClain yep the TNG was a temporary name for the close-to-final version of 1.5.13. You should be able to download the update... first backup your styles by exporting all of them (do not check the box when the overlay pops up).

Next import and overwrite XenBase, and do the same for Core. Should be set!

Jim McClain likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey Customer

Do we need to import the "Splash" style files as well as the Xenbase files? Obviously not over the child, but overweite the "Do not edit" style files and xml?
    Cheers

10. Russ

Russ Designer

Yep, but of course export your styles first prior to overwriting anything (y).

11. Davey

Davey Customer

Including the files to be uploaded to the styles directory, or just import the style.xml?

12. Russ

Russ Designer

On this update you can upload the new folders for xenbase + splash but it's optional, it'll replace the default avatars with the new ones shipped out.

13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Customer

That's good to know because I made my own default avatars.

Russ likes this.
  14. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Customer

@Russ, I was just about to do this update when a question came to me: Is there a system in place that prevents me from editing templates and CSS in the parent or XB styles? I've made a number of edits to templates and CSS (I try to add custom CSS to EXTRA.CSS, but I don't remember if I changed any of the actual CSS templates). Is there a way for me to see, before I do an update, if I edited any templates, like the file name would be bold or a different color or something?

This being a very new XF installation and my experience with XF is also only a couple weeks, I'm worried I'll screw something up - or have already.

15. kaieivindm

kaieivindm Customer

XenForo 1.5.14 just dropped. :)

Russ likes this.
  16. Ruby

Ruby Customer

That sucks I just upgraded all my sites:banghead:

Russ likes this.
  17. Steve

Steve Designer

Styles > Templates

Will show the complete list of templates. Any showing red means it has been edited in that style. Any showing orange means the template has been edited in the parent style.

Note you will see numerous orange template names since many are edited by us in XenBase.

18. Russ

Russ Designer

I'll be shipping out 1.5.14 updates today, it'll be easier than the 1.5.13 update.

Neal, kaieivindm, Ruby and 2 others like this.
  19. bosss

bosss Well-Known Member

I and @Ruby wait for updates... :):)

20. Ruby

Ruby Customer

Get to the back of the line boss.

bosss likes this.

Let's work together on your next project

Contact us today to talk about how we can help you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.